Leaving his dual position as head coach and tenured professor at Red Deer College, Pottinger looks forward taking over a program that has been competing at the U SPORTS level for less than 10 years.
Pottinger comes to UBCO from a highly successful eight year run with RDC in the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC), where he compiled a gaudy 137-41 record for the Kings and led his team to two ACAC conference titles and three national championship berths, coming home with a national silver medal in 2014, the same year he was named the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association coach of the year.
Pottinger, a graduate of the University of Alberta, captained the 1993-94 Golden Bears team that won Alberta's first men's basketball national championship. That team had strong Okanagan ties as two Kelowna Secondary graduates, Jay Johnstone and Marc Semeniuk, also wore the green and gold for the Bears with Pottinger.
Following his playing days, Pottinger served as an assistant coach with the UofA, assistant coach and director of player development for the Edmonton Chill professional basketball club, statistical analyst of Canada Basketball's Cadet National Team, head coach of King's University and Douglas College, and guided Team Alberta to its best finish at the Canada Games in 2017 with a silver medal.
A Bachelor of Education from UofA has been followed up with a Master's degree in coaching studies from the University of Victoria's National Coaching Institute. Along with his coaching duties, Pottinger is currently a kinesiology instructor at Red Deer College, allowing him to be a full-time educator and coach.
This love of basketball and teaching will be a key, as the lifelong basketball educator will look to also rebuild the Junior Heat basketball club program in Kelowna and the Okanagan region. Developing grassroots basketball, not just players, but coaches, and officials, and will be a strong foundation for the varsity program and basketball as a sport in the Okanagan.
- 2003 – 2007 | Head Men’s Basketball Coach, The King’s University (AB)
- 2007 - 2010 | Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach, University of Alberta (Director of Recruiting for the Golden Bears in 2008)
- 2008 | Lead Assistant Coach and Director of Player Development, Edmonton Chill Professional Basketball Club.
- 2010 – 2011 | Head Men’s Basketball Coach, Douglas College (B.C.)
- 2011- 2019 | Head Men’s Basketball coach, Red Deer College (AB)
- 2015- 2016 | Basketball Analyst, Canada Basketball.
- 2016- 2017 | U17 Men’s Head Coach, Basketball Alberta.
- 3 time Coach of the Year in the ACAC south division
- 2 time recipient of the CCAA Exemplary Leadership Award (formerly CCAA Fair Play Award) 2012 ACAC Silver Medalist
- 2013 and 2014 ACAC Gold Medalist
- 2014 ACAC and CCAA Basketball Coach of the Year 2014 CCAA Silver Medalist
- 2016 RDC Scholarly Activity Award Recipient 2017 Canada Games Silver Medalist
Clayton Pottinger Coaching Record
|Year||Team||Overall||League||Playoff||Season Finish||Playoff Finish|